Thursday, June 24, 2010

Brontosaurus: The Fake Dinosaur

Usually I'm pretty up to date with useless, mundane information, but for some reason, I learned something astonishing that I never knew today: this thing never existed:

That's right, we've been living a lie our entire lives. I remember even being taught in school that this thing existed and reading picture books of lies and fallacies in first grade. Even Jurassic Park fed us this falsehood, and it tears me apart (not really) to know that that opening scene from that movie can never happen no matter how much ancient fly blood we drill.

Unbeknown to me, nor anyone who could have notified me earlier, the Brontosaurus was actually a bunch of bones that were put together from more than one Dinosaur.

The curious thing is that they kept going with the notion of this dinosaur even though the final construct didn't actually have a head. I mean, that seems like a pretty important part, right?

What's that, you don't have a head? Well, the most logical thing to do is to obviously just take some other dinosaur head and claim it to be the right one.

That'll solve everything, right? Oh wait, no, you forgot you're dealing with scientists.

Good luck!

No comments: