Sunday, August 9, 2009

That Damn Michael Franti Song



Am I the only one in the world who finds this damn Michael Franti song, "Say Hey" to be the most boring song ever? It's not really that catchy, and it's got a bland repetitive beat.


Riddle me this: recite one line of lyrics from that song other than, "the more I see, the less I know."

Oh, you can't? Yeah, you must not like that song as much as you pretend to, America.


The song is typical summer drivel. Every time I hear the damn thing, I picture a fake Disney movie in my head from like 1999 where a single dad and his only daughter are dancing while cleaning their house and getting wet paint all over their jeans.

That shouldn't be what I think about when I hear your song. If you're going to have your song make it to such a national level like this song did, it should invoke some sort of energy in me that doesn't involve such weirdly nostalgic rhetoric.

Way to make a song from the 90's, Mike. Good luck trying to get airplay with this shit during the winter, wherein we're all inside and not able to run through the sprinklers while singing along to "the more I see, the less I know."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really want that damn song to go away. Sure, at first it was boring, but now it really starting to get under my skin. The lyrics indicate that although he has traveled extensively, he is really dumb doesn't know much, but none of that matters because he loves...whoever the hell the song is about.

It is particularly lame how he consistently rhymes "you" with "you" throughout the song, like in this example:

"My momma told me don’t lose you
Cause the best luck I had was you"

I guess I should cut him some slack with this, because he has already admitted that is pretty much a dumbass.

Anonymous said...

this song is my least favorite franti song and of course it makes it on the radio, but it is good for his music to be recognized on a national level considering he sings about meaningful things (with this exception). he is one of the best lyricist going right now. listen to: Bomb the world, yell fire, rock the nation, east to the west, stay human. there are several more. all of which have depth and thought.

Anonymous said...

OMG! This dude is a failed artist who through enough shit at the wall that something eventually had to stick. He's sucked for 2 decades. He's about as deep as a kiddie pool. His lyrics are retarded, and his new song is even dumber. He's a washed up wanna-be hippie. And he's not even Jamaican. He tries to act like he's tunneling some spirit of peace. Get the fuck atta' here. Clueless college kids, and pleated- khaki short wearing parents like this type of syrupy shit. So they can dance off rhythm with their equally lame children. He is, by far, the worst thing to happen to music since Vanilla Ice.

Anonymous said...

wow the last comment really summed it up nicely. I just wanted to co sign that this song is horrible.

Anonymous said...

Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate LOL

Anonymous said...

This guy gives music a bad name


Anonymous said...

I hate that song so much! I always change when it comes on so it won't get stuck in my head.

Anonymous said...

There's not a song he makes that's even remotely good... His music makes me want to punch his entire family in the throat for guiding him to where he is.

Every fucking song from him is so miserably bad... how can that even be possible?! His,"hey, take off your shoes and dance on the beach to enjoy this moment in life" vibe is the worst of it's kind.

I hope his love life is full of failure and heartbreak.

I hope he hates himself and his music to the point that he commits suicide one day. He deserves it. He works hard at being such a shitty, talent wasting yokel.

Bill Brasky said...

Googled "Michael Franti sucks" and found this thread. THANK YOU. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there that can't stand this guy. Such generic and boring music from such a fucktard. What makes me even more sick to my stomach is that he has been touring with one of my favorite live acts in SOJA : ((((((

Unknown said...

All of his songs are like this. I call it Disney reggae, it's not the real deal. I don't hate the guy though. It's for teenaged girls and women who like his demeanor. That's why he's famous. But again, bashing his music, not him.