Wednesday, June 17, 2009

L is I (l vs I), Writing in CAPS, and the Cursive G


I wish the letters L and I didn't look so damn similar in so many types of font.

Why do some people not put serifs on their I's? When you go to Chicago, are you traveling to lllinois? No, because that looks like three of the same letter.

Also, what's the deal with people who write completely in caps lock? What the hell is wrong with you? It's obviously not saving you any time to do so, so why bother? I feel like half the country never bothered to pay attention in first grade.


And then there are some people who seemingly paid too much attention, like the freaks who write completely in cursive all the time. I hate you. None of us are impressed by your handwriting skillz. Get over yourself and realize that writing a capital g like this:


is retarded and takes long to write and it looks stupid and I still hate you. I don't even understand how that's supposed to be a G.

It looks like a damn rollercoaster.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the image of the capital G? I'd like to learn how to make my Gs that way. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I know, for years it took me to understand how it was a G until I lived abroad and saw their handwriting copy books and re tweaked my own so my American handwriting would stand out so much. If you take a closer look the loops are extraordinarily exaggerated unlike overseas version, compare this American version to say the Australian or UK version and you can see it. the exaggerated loop and elongated tail make it change shape but in reality is just a very large lower case cursive "g" The curl loop is supposed to be circular portion of the"lowercase capital "g" i describe in my choice of words. Google Samuel Goldwyn logo, and that's better example and hybrid of say the American and Continental styles.

Frustrated Mom said...

My daughter is in kindergarten and just learning how to read and write. The serif on the I helps her and when its not there she has touble trying to figure out what the word is. I wish children's books always kept the serf.