Thursday, April 17, 2008

This Weekend vs. Next Weekend


Just a little note to all the people out there who happen to have calendars:

There is a difference between this weekend and next weekend.

When I say "this weekend," I am referring to the weekend that is about to arrive. When I say "next weekend," I am talking about the weekend that comes after this weekend, hence "next" being in its name.

I don't know why this is so difficult for people to learn, but the confusion still surfaces in conversation almost daily for me. If today is Friday and I am speaking of "next weekend," do you really think I'm talking about tomorrow? No, idiot.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that this weekend will be good, and actually sometimes I will call it next weekend anyway (especially early in the week, likd mondays.)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Taylor.

Anonymous said...

you need to learn how to read a calendar dude -- the "next weekend" is whenever the next saturday occurs from the current day.

sincerely,
person who knows how to communicate time

Anonymous said...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_next_weekend_this_coming_weekend_or_weekend_after_next

Next means... the next. When someone says "take the next left" they're not referring to the one after the next. They mean the very next. Which is why the definition of "next" is "nearest in space or time."

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

According to the Oxford American Dictionary definition for 'next' when used in the context of time:

(of a day of the week) nearest (or the nearest but one) after the present : not this Wednesday, next Wednesday

So really it can be interpreted either way. By personal convention, I use "next" as the following and "this" as the upcoming in order to distinguish between the two. Otherwise I find people using the painful "not this x but the next" phrase.